Sunday, December 20, 2009

Meet the Parents


I am in two completely different stages in my life. One stage is having a teenager and the other is having 3 boys under the age of 5! Sometimes I feel very stretched and other times I feel very grounded. When Faith gives me her teenage attitude I can play and laugh with the boys. And at the end of the day after doing everything for the boys, it's nice to know that Faith can take her own shower!

Now we are at a new stage where Faith has a boyfriend! I was not happy about her having a boyfriend, but have found that most of the kids her age have boyfriends or girlfriends. Guess it's the thing to do. I will allow her to have a boyfriend, but will not allow her to date. I think having a boyfriend and dating are two totally different things. I would rather her not have a boyfriend or date until she is 18, but I guess that's not very reasonable, at least not to Faith. When she does date, Sean and I are going to be one of those parents, you know the ones who sit behind them at the theater and are at the table next to them during dinner. So for now Faith has a boyfriend and he's a nice kid, but still a boy! We have known this boy since Faith was in 4th grade and know his family fairly well. We have been to their house several times, before they became a couple.

Faith's boyfriend of 3 weeks, yes you read that right it's only been 3 weeks, has been to our house several times for dinner. He came again last night. We ate, talked, and played board games. We try to have a normal conversation with him and try not to interrogate him, but we do ask a lot of questions. It's such a hard thing. What do you do when the boyfriend comes over to date your daughter? We joked about having a gun rack, but Faith already told him we would say that and he knows we don't have any guns.

This is a tough stage. I don't like it, but am getting used to it. I think lots of prayer is the only thing to help me right now! Prayer and playing with my 3 crazy boys!

1 comment:

LaVonne said...

I don't even want to think about those days!